Saturday, July 11, 2015

Round Two...

Today I am beginning round two of making homemade yogurt!  There is a few things that I didnt like about the first batch of yogurt, so I have decided to add a few things.

1. Sugar! My last batch was very tart, so I split it into two containers and added a little bit of sugar to it... It made a world of a difference! Seriously! I will do this again with the batch I am making today.

2. Gelatin... After searching the web for endless hours and looking through all the ideas of how to thicken homemade yogurt, I decided to use gelatin. My first patch literally looked like fruit soup, I guess you could call it.  

So, to add this Gelatin into the mix...

Currently I have the milk heating up on low in the crock pot for 2 1/2 hours just like my original recipe states.  The only difference is that I kept about 1/2 a cup of the milk in a bowl to the side.  About 1/2 an hour into the heating of the milk, I will mix my gelatin into the bowl of milk I kept to the side, and let it "bloom".  Then I will mix this into the crock pot with the rest of the milk, allowing it to all continue warming together until the 2 1/2 hours is complete.
The "advice/instructions" that I found for adding the gelatin says to use around one teaspoon of gelatin per quart of milk.
So, I will be using two teaspoons of gelatin to go along with my half gallon of milk.

Im really hoping that this works, but Im a little hesitant of how it will turn out.

Ill let everyone know how my yogurt comes out in the end, hopefully it isnt soup again!

No comments:

Post a Comment